Burgers made with lean, grass-fed beef or bison meat are an excellent choice. Add an avocado for some healthy fat. You can do a lettuce wrap instead of a bun (a clever way to get in extra greens).
If you’re making burgers at home, consider adding green chilies and spices and then topping it with a free-range egg. Free-range eggs are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman, these can help “reduce the risk of sudden cardiac death and heart attack, slow growth of plaque in the arteries by decreasing inflammation, improve lipid levels, enhance blood pressure regulation, and reduce pulse pressure.”3 They’re also a great source of protein.
- 1 lb grass-fed beef or bison
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of sea salt
- Avocados, sliced
- 4 free-range or omega-3 eggs
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except avocados and eggs.
- Cook burgers as desired.
- While cooking, fry eggs in coconut oil.
- Serve eggs on top of burgers with avocado slices.